Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Leave a Message

The Google Voice subscriber you have called is not available. Please leave a message after the tone.


This was my voicemail outgoing message from June 2010, when I was finally granted an account (when users still had to wait to be invited to Google Voice), to September 2012.

My new message?

Hi, this is Christina. I'll get back to you soon.

How long did it take me to change the message from the system standard? Two minutes. If that. And that's only because I put little thought into what I was actually plugging into my Google search machine when searching "how to", and because I didn't listen closely to the instructions when recording and therefore had to re-record. (If anyone reading this has ever changed his/her Google voice recording, you'll know how absurd it was to screw up the recording.)

It's laughable about how long it took for me to finally get around to completing this task. Over the years, I'd gotten several comments from friends about my craptastic outgoing message, and admin assistants from my hair salon would always begin their messages with "Uh, this message is for Christina," which can only be attributed to the complete lack of identification and instruction in the message.

I'm not going to totally blame myself for this almost unending stretch of procrastination. My voicemail message was more or less "out of sight, out of mind." I never actually dial into my voicemail to listen to my messages on account of the handy-dandy app that lists my callers and the text translation of their messages (far from accurate, but based on the caller and some accurately translated words, I usually can get an idea of the message). The only time in recent history I've been reminded of my remissness in setting up a more human-sounding message is my older brother's occasional mocking of the uselessness of the message.

So, 2+ years later and I have a half-decent outgoing message that answers the questions, "Who?" and, "What next?" As a reward, my boyfriend gave me a high five.

I'm pretty sure it was an ironic one, but I enjoyed the victory of accomplishment nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment