Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Love/Hate Relationship

I don't think anyone loves to procrastinate. We all do it just because we'd rather be doing something other than what we need to be doing. I might even hate procrastinating, but I continue to do it even after decades of experiencing procrastination's pitfalls. Of putting off 10-page papers until the night before they're due. Of holding off doing laundry until I'm wearing the last of the clean underwear that no one should be wearing. Of adding to the growing pile of magazines that I swear I'm going to read someday because dammit, I paid for that two-year subscription to Runner's World. Of hiding printed photos in drawers so that I'm not constantly reminded of the 10+ years of pictures that I need to archive in photo albums (although is it even worth it in this digital world?).

So I've decided to try to change that. I want to finally hem those shamefully over-priced designer jeans that I felt compelled to buy just because I had a $40 Living Social deal. I want to finally wrap and deliver those two wedding gifts that have been sitting in my room for the past two months (we're coming up on a year since either wedding). I want to finally track down that 401K from my previous job and roll it into my current account. And what better way to ensure change than to hold myself responsible for it in front of the online world (but let's be serious... it'll really only be two readers who will have chosen to suffer through these whims, and one of them would probably be my boyfriend).

I'm not quite sure what I'm trying to accomplish... what message I'm trying to send. But so far, in regard to whatever I'm doing here, I'll go ahead and say I have a 100% success rate. I mean, I built this site, right? ("Built" can be subjective I guess... I did just click on "Blogger" from the drop-down list in Google and filled in a title and URL. Although granted, I was delayed in getting started with even this. It took me about a week from conception to action, but I maintain that blog-title creation genius doesn't just happen. It develops.)

In closing of this initial post, and with luck, these stories/confessions/mutterings will end the multi-decades "battle" with procrastination. I've been putting it off long enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment